What is the Barber Styling program?
This program is designed to prepare students to work efficiently in the industry of Barber Styling. This competency-based program includes classroom instruction and practical/lab experience. Practical skills are developed through experience in a school-based, on-site barber shop which is equipped and managed according to industry standards by the students with instructor supervision. Students are instructed in the areas of men and women haircutting, styling, shampooing, shaving, anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and shop management and sales. Upon completion, students are eligible to take the LA State Board of Barber Examiners licensure examination.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the head, neck, and other areas.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper safety procedures in the barber shop.
- Demonstrate knowledge of infection control, decontamination and sanitation of tools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of shaving, hair cutting, styling, coloring, permanent waving and relaxing techniques.
- Demonstrate ability to provide quality customer service to patrons.
- Demonstrate shop management skills.