Heavy Equipment Vehicle Operator
What is the Heavy Equipment Vehicle Operator program?
The Heavy Equipment Vehicle Operator (HEVO) program is a short-term program designed to prepare individuals for employment as professional heavy equipment operators and
tractor-trailer drivers. Program content includes instruction in general construction site safety, operation of diesel-powered heavy equipment and tractor trailer rigs, identification of common equipment/vehicle components, defensive driving skills, actual driving on rural, urban and interstate highways, cargo handling, tractor trailer backing and maneuvering, and equipment/vehicle inspections and logging. Students are eligible to test for a CDL license upon successful completion of the program.
- Demonstrate work safety when dealing with all professional heavy equipment and tractor-trailer rigs.
- Demonstrate general construction site safety.
- Demonstrate ability to operate diesel powered heavy equipment and tractor trailer rigs.
- Demonstrate ability to identify common equipment/vehicle components.
- Demonstrate defensive driving skills on rural, urban and interstate highways.
- Demonstrate ability to handle cargo.
- Demonstrate ability to back and maneuver tractor trailer rigs.
- Demonstrate ability to document and verify loads and grades.
- Demonstrate ability to inspect vehicles/equipment. Demonstrate ability to log hours according to laws and regulations.