Industrial Maintenance Technology
What is the Industrial Maintenance Technology program?
The purpose of this program is to prepare individuals for employment in the field of Industrial Maintenance Mechanical Technology. It prepares students through classroom instruction and practical experience needed to install, repair, and maintain industrial equipment and machinery such as: electrical systems, motors, pumps, production machinery, welding, plumbing of pneumatics & hydraulic lines, and electrical conduit.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper safety procedures in the industrial maintenance field.
- Demonstrate ability to install and maintain a large variety of production equipment.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of various electrical theory and applications.
- Demonstrate the use of volt meters, amp meters and other electrical testing equipment.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and interpret electrical schematics.
- Demonstrate proper problem solving skills.
What is the Industrial Maintenance Technology Program?
The Industrial Maintenance Technology Program is a comprehensive educational program that teaches students the knowledge and skills to become successful industrial maintenance technicians. It provides you with special classroom instruction and practical experience you need to install, repair, and maintain industrial equipment and machinery, like:
- Electrical systems
- Production machinery
- Hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Plumbing of Pneumatic & Hydraulic Lines, Electrical Conduit
This Program is a specialized training designed to equip you with the skills necessary to work efficiently and safely in various industrial settings, including welding. Hands-on training teaches you how to install, repair, maintain, and troubleshoot various mechanical and electrical components.
The program helps you gain valuable knowledge and skills for testing, modifying, and repairing hydraulic and pneumatic systems. You understand how to fix and attach auxiliary equipment like:
- Electronic control devices
- Mechanical and electrical devices
- Directional Control Valves
- 3 Phase Motor Controls
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Millwright/Precision Alignment
Skills Needed for a Career in Industrial Maintenance Technology
As a prospective industrial maintenance technician, you need various skills to succeed in this field. You should:
- Have a good understanding of electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems and how they operate.
- Can read and interpret wing diagrams, blueprints, schematic drawings, and other technical documentation.
- Have excellent communication skills to interact with colleagues and customers effectively
- Showcase strong problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities to diagnose and repair mechanical issues.
- Pay attention to detail to identify and fix possible machinery problems quickly and accurately.
- Know how to use the correct tools for fixing possible mechanical issues.
What are My Employment Opportunities?
If you are considering a career in industrial maintenance technology, many job opportunities are available. You can work in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, healthcare, public utilities, and gas & oil. You will be trained as a Multi-Craft Technician.
You are likely to find employment opportunities with government agencies, private companies or even work on a contract basis. Or travel to remote locations to conduct maintenance and repair operations.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long is the Industrial Maintenance Technology Program?
The Program consists of two years of full-time study; you can complete it in as little as 18 months. During the program, you will complete a combination of classroom, laboratory, and hands-on training, allowing you to learn in different settings to become well-versed in the topics relevant to the profession.
What Degree/Certificate Will I Receive?
Upon completion, you will receive a certificate or degree, depending on a specific program and institution. A certificate program is a shorter, more focused program designed to equip you with specific skills in industrial maintenance, like electrical. We offer the following:
- Technical Diploma (TD)
- Certificate of Technical Studies (CTS)
- Career and Technical Certificate (CTC)
What is Unique About Our Program?
Our Industrial Maintenance Technology Program focuses on providing students with the skills and knowledge required to excel in their chosen career path. We offer a comprehensive curriculum that covers all aspects of industrial maintenance, from electrical and hydraulic systems to machine maintenance and welding.
The program offers first-hand experience and prepares you to work safely in various industrial settings. We provide flexible learning options like online courses to help you fit the program into your existing schedule.
What do Industrial Maintenance Technicians Do?
Industrial maintenance technicians ensure the proper function of various industrial machines, systems, and equipment. They inspect and perform preventative maintenance on all types of equipment, including hydraulic and pneumatic systems. These technicians diagnose and identify mechanical or machinery problems and make necessary repairs.
The industrial maintenance technicians also install new equipment and systems and troubleshoot existing ones to guarantee optimal performance. They help train other personnel in operating specific industrial machinery or equipment.
Become a Successful Industrial Maintenance Technician Today
If you want to build a successful career in Industrial Maintenance Technology in North Louisiana, our Northwest LA Technical Community College (NLTCC) team is ready to help.
Our courses cover all aspects of industrial maintenance, from electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems to welding, machine operations, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
Image credit: metamorworks/Shutterstock