Northwest Louisiana Technical Community Community College accepts ACT scores, *SAT scores, or Compass scores. However, if one doesn’t have those scores for admission, the college administers the ACCUPLACER test. Each Northwest LTC campus location provides students with a testing environment where tests are administered accurately and securely. The Northwest LTCC’s Testing Centers are committed to:
- Providing testing services that meet the needs of the college.
- Maintaining the highest compliance with nationally recognized professional testing standards.
- Creating an optimal testing environment.
*The Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners will not accept SAT scores for admissions. Students seeking a healthcare-related program must have scores for one of the following tests: TABE, ACT or Accuplacer.
What do I need to bring on testing day?
The beliefs that guide our actions, activities, and decisions as a college:
- In order to take the test, please bring the following to the testing center: Picture ID
- $45.00 (cash or money order) for First-time testers or $15.00 per subject for retesting (cash or money order)
- High School Diploma or its equivalency
What is the ACCUPLACER?
The ACCUPLACER is a computerized placement exam that tests your knowledge in math, reading, and writing. This test helps to identify your strengths and weaknesses in each subject area and assists us with determining your performance ability regarding college level course work.
What subjects does the Accuplacer Test cover?
Reading Comprehension – approx. 20 Questions Skills assessed are:
- Understanding text
- Identify the main idea
- Make inferences
Sentence Skills – approx. 20 Questions Skills assessed are:
- Sentence structure
- Sentence logic
- Relationship between two sentences
Arithmetic – approx. 17 questions Skills assessed are:
- Operations of whole numbers and fractions
- Operations with decimals and percents
- Applications and problem solving
Elementary Algebra – approx. 12 questions NURSING ONLY Skills assessed are:
- Operations with integers and rational numbers
- Operations with algebraic expressions
- Solution of equations, inequalities and word problems
College Level Math – approx. 20 questions ASSOCIATE DEGREE ONLY Skills assessed are:
- Algebraic operations
- Solution of equations and inequalities
- Coordinate geometry
- Applications and other algebraic functions
- Functions and trigonometry
WHY DO I HAVE TO TAKE ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA INSTEAD OF ARITHMETIC?
The Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners has determined that elementary algebra is the required mathematics tests for entrance into our nursing programs.
WHY DO I HAVE TO TAKE COLLEGE LEVEL MATH INSTEAD OF ARITHMETIC?
The Associate of Applied Science Degree requires students to complete 5 general education courses, including College Algebra. In order to ensure student’s success in these courses, an ACCUPLACER College Level Math score is required.
CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME TIPS ON HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL ON TESTING DAY?
- History has shown if you follow steps below, you would be more likely to perform optimally on test day.
- Refresh yourself on the subjects tested.
- Free ACCULACER test prep information
- Free sample test
- Get a good night’s rest prior to taking the test
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Arrive 15 minutes early to check in
WHAT IF I DON’T MAKE THE NECESSARY SCORES FOR ENTRANCE INTO A PROGRAM?
Students whose placement scores do not meet the minimum requirements by the training program, the college can schedule classes in reading, language and math to upgrade those skills. Please talk with student services or your advisor to schedule those classes. View the Minimum Academic Level Requirement