What is the Practical Nursing program?
This program prepares students to meet the licensure requirements for Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), as established by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners (LSBPNE). The program consists of classroom instruction, lab practicum and supervised clinical activities in accredited hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care agencies. Each course in the PN program must be completed with a minimum score of 80%. Upon graduation, the student is awarded a diploma and is eligible to take the National Council of State Boards Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS INFORMATION PERTAINING TO QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIREMENTS, DATES, AND STEPS TO APPLY
- Utilize the nursing process to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate the basic needs of the newborn, pediatric, geriatric, obstetrical and medicalsurgical patient.
- Apply basic knowledge of human behavior and effective communication skills in establishing relationships with patients, their families and members of the health care team.
- Identify the responsibilities according to scope of practice and recognize the limitations of a Practical Nurse in providing safe and efficient care.
- Display attitudes and work habits which will enable the individual to become a valuable employee.
- Successfully write the National Council Licensing Exam-PN.
- Secure and maintain gainful employment as a Licensed Practical Nurse
- Technical Diploma (TD)
- Admissions Application (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from accredited high school or HISET/GED and colleges/universities, if applicable
- Proof of immunization or signed waiver
- Proof of Selective Service if required
- Driver's License or photo ID
- If applicable, ACCUPLACER test prior to enrollment or ACT scores accepted
- Admission to various programs may require additional documentation and/or requirements
- FAFSA to apply for financial aid
- WIOA (Workforce Investment Opportunity Act)
- VA (Veteran’s Assistance)
- TOPS (Taylor Opportunity Program for Students)
- GO GRANT